Friday, August 17, 2012

A week and a half later

It has been a little over a week and a half since Matilda's birth. Only three days later Michael had to return to Korea, so I've been dealing with regular postpartum stress, adjusting to having three girls under four years of age, and having to say goodbye to my husband all at the same time.

At the park with all three girls
Thankfully one of my friends from high school and her sister drove up and spent a few days with me. That was a nice distraction after Michael left, and they really helped out with meals and playing with the two older girls. I also have my sister to help out, but she's a busy teenager and I definitely don't expect her to put her life on hold just to help me. She does help a lot when she does help though, so it's nice having her here with me. Then of course I'm in my hometown right now, so I have tons of family willing to help out. Just last night my aunt came over to watch McKaleigh and Adelaide, while Matilda and I made a trip to Target. It was nice not to have to get all three girls in and out of their car seats and through the store; I haven't been daring enough to do that on my own yet, haha.

Day of discharge from the hospital
There have been a lot of good things going on, in between feeling overwhelmed and missing Michael. I managed to complete all of my homework for class last week, so although I still have some stuff to catch up on, I'm not falling further behind. The house got super messy, pretty quickly, but I think I cleaned up pretty well yesterday, at least the kitchen and living room. I need to get around to cleaning my room, but I'm not stressing out about it, and I'll get to it when I get to it.

Another thing that has made me really happy has been my weight loss. I gained 30 pounds this pregnancy and started out with about 10 extra pounds, which means I'm hoping to lose 40 pounds overall. I've already lost 20! And I haven't even started working out yet, other than some easy yoga sequences, which I really do more for my mind than for my body. My mom (who is now living in a different state) has fall break in October and has already signed up for a 5k here in town. I'll be about 2 months postpartum, so I doubt I'll be able to run it, but I still think I'm going to sign up and walk it, maybe running every now and then. I really cannot wait to start running again. I'm tempted to start around 4 weeks postpartum, but I know I should wait for my doctor to give the okay at my six week checkup.

Daddy and baby
And an update with Matilda, she is doing great! She had her first check up two days ago and was already 10 ounces past her birth weight! So needless to say, breastfeeding has been going great! My milk came in on about day three, and we have had no problems at all. She does have really sleepy periods in the evenings where she's difficult to wake up and I get a little engorged, but usually by bedtime she's ready to empty me out, haha. Also, I totally forgot how many diapers a newborn goes through! It seems like with each baby it has been a big surprise to me.

Pretty girl, at home:)
Big sisters, McKaleigh and Adelaide, have been doing okay. Both have had their moments, Adelaide throws tantrums pretty frequently, and McKaleigh has developed quite the little attitude, but they both absolutely love their new sister. They love to help out and McKaleigh holds Matilda every chance she gets, which is really nice when Matilda isn't hungry and just needs to be held, since it gives me a chance to get a few things done.

I'm hoping to make a YouTube video soon to "introduce" Matilda, but we'll see when I get around to it. That's not really high on my to do list priority-wise, but hopefully I'll get it done. I can't believe how much older she already looks. These early months always go by so quickly!

No comments: