Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions for 2011

While looking around for ideas for New Year's resolutions I found an article with the top ten resolutions. Most of them are pretty typical, but I thought I would list them here and then write a little bit from me:).

1. Spending quality time with family and friends
I'm a more family oriented person, I don't really have friends that I hang out with typically. I'm also a stay at home mom, so I'm not sure if I can really spend more time with my family. I would however like to change what I do with my family. Less TV and computer time, more time playing and being active. We have good days and bad days as far as that goes, but this year I'd like to definitely see a lot more good days.

2. Time for fitness
I always feel great when I work out. I love working out. There's something so difficult about finding the time to workout when you have a toddler and baby. I mean, honestly, I could find the time, but it's such a nice excuse, haha. Even when I do technically have time usually someone wants my attention. Still, I'm going to try to workout, at the very least, a few times a month. Ideally, I'll work out a few times a week, but the lower my expectations, the more likely that I will meet them:).

3. The battle of the bulge
Luckily, this one doesn't really apply to me. I still weigh more than I did when I got pregnant with Adelaide, I do however weight less than I did when I got pregnant with McKaleigh(who is my older daughter.) That's right, I weighed less when I got pregnant the second time, haha. I wouldn't mind being that small again, but the number isn't a big deal to me. I would like to get rid of a little bit of belly fat I have left, but muscle tone is what's really important to me, even if that means actually gaining weight.

4. Quit smoking
In January 2008, the day I found out I was pregnant with McKaleigh, I quit smoking. I didn't smoke again until the summer of 2009. It was about a two or three week "relapse" and then I quit again and haven't smoked since. So technically I have already quit smoking, but I honestly feel like I will always be quitting smoking. Just one cigarette makes years of not smoking seem to all go down the drain. I really don't want to ever smoke again, I feel like a slave to the cigarettes when I smoke. So I guess it's still a resolution to continue not smoking.

5. Enjoy life more
I really feel like I do a pretty good job enjoying my life, so can't say that this is one of my resolutions.

6. Quit drinking
Maybe some day if this really becomes a problem it will be one of my resolutions, but I haven't gotten there yet.

7. Get out of debt
We won't be able to get completely out of debt this year, but we are definitely actively working toward that goal. By the end of this year I would like to get out of our current car, buy a cheaper car, pay off a personal loan, and pay off the hubby's credit card. Then all we'll have left is a small student loan, my credit card, and a larger student loan.

8. Higher learning
Nope, I don't really have any intention of doing school this year. Reading the article they talk about more than just actual school, so I guess maybe I could do something along these lines. One of the things listed is learning a new language. Michael and I have been talking about learning German, so maybe this year will be the year.

9. Helping others
This is something that I always want to do. Sort of like exercise, I have trouble finding the time. I honestly don't think that this will happen a whole lot this year, but is definitely something I want to do when the girls get a little older.

10. Getting organized
Organization is something that I am always craving, but I have such a hard to getting there! I want to slowly, room by room, declutter this entire house. I've been making progress lately, so maybe this will happen this year. I don't like chaos and crazy messiness! It's sort of hard to avoid when you have a toddler, but I know I could do a lot to less this if I can just declutter.


Something that isn't on this top ten that is important to me: my impact on the environment. I want to try to lessen my footprint even more. I'd love to stop using paper towels for the most part, maybe even invest in some family cloth. I'd like to get closer to full-time cloth diapers with Adelaide, and get McKaleigh using the potty so we can stop diapering her all together! We already do a pretty awesome job with recycling, but I'd like to try to limit how much ends up going into the garbage. It would be great to send out only one bag of trash a week, or less! I might look into some composting methods, but with renting I'm not sure we'll be allowed.

So overall, I have a lot of high hopes for 2011. I'm sure in some areas I will fail, some places I will excel, but it's all about the journey:).

No comments: